maanantai 29. kesäkuuta 2015

FUBAR

Today after I got off from work I went back to the metal scrap yard to go fetch the last missing bit to the service stand. I was kinda hoping to get a stainless pipe cause it`s not gonna be painted but they didn`t have a suitable one so I settled for the "black". When I asked what will it cost the guy actually said he`s not gonna bother writing a receipt for one or two euros and said to mention it the next time. Sure will!

After that I went to the car parts emporiums to peruse some different color choices but didn`t really find anything that`ll tickle so I rode to an actual professional paint shop. First off the lady almost walked me out of there when I said I`ve used the red rust primer cause it`ll show through from all colors so to get the finish to look like what the color sheet is showing I need to spray another coat of basecoat first. Great, buy shit get shit... Now I`ll know, the hardware store where I got it didn`t have anyting else so I got that, the next time I`ll know to save that money too...


The color that I chose demands a black basecoat to show correctly so I bought a can of that, sprayed it on until I was satisfied and let it dry for a second while fetching the boy from daycare.

What awaited me when I got back wasn`t exactly a pleasant sight...



ALL of the weld seams and quite a few of the tube surfaces had "cracked" and I have no idea why. I waited till the paint was thoroughly dried, sanded one crack open to bare metal, wiped it clean and threw on another coat, and it cracked AGAIN!

The only thing I can think of is that the black primer is somehow reacting to the rust primer repelling each other, so pretty much the only thing I could do is spray the whole cage with paint stripper, make a biblical mess wiping off all of the dripping melting sticky paint, using every last sheet of the fiber paper wipes I had as well as a good half a liter of thinner.


*sigh* Back to square one... Oh well if I had to dig something good out from this is now I can clean up that one crappy weld I`m not happy with. And I gotta say LUCKY the paint corked BEFORE I sprayed on the actual topcoat cause THAT one can was NOT cheap! But once it`s painted: Missy, I swear you`re gonna LOVE the color!

Gonna ride to work tomorrow so gonna have a day off from this project, I have wednesday reserved off from work so gonna go to the city with the car to stock up on wipes, a 5l jug of thinner and another can of the black primer. Ohhh I can already imagine the smug smirk on the face of the paint shop lady...

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti